Thursday, July 27, 2006

With the zoom-zoom and the honk-honk

I recently saw two films (hey I have two baby daughters; this is a big thing), the first ‘An inconvenient truth’ and ‘Who killed the electric car?’ Both were excellent and if you find yourself with some time I would recommend trying to find a showing.

For the record I’m not a tree hugger and tend to think with my wallet.

Both movies got me thinking about electric cars. Or, more to the point; making one! I’ve always been fascinated by the idea; even as a kid I wanted my go-cart to be electric I had rebuilt a starter motor and had my eye on the car battery at the local J&J auto-supply. But my dad explained that I would only burn the motor out after a couple of minutes, so I never made my electric go-cart (but I’ve already got everything I need, in-case one of my daughters wants one…..)

So here’s the list;
Donor car $1200 (Porsche 914-1973)
DC motor $2000
DC/DC control system $2500
Mounting hardware $1500
Wiring harness $750

So for about $10K I can have a electric Porsche; 135 mile range between charges and a top speed of about 80mph.

Now here’s the rub; I know an AC system would be better.

What to do, what to do...

No comments: